Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Why am I doing this? (A dedication to my tutors of NYJC)

Why am I doing this?

.
.
Why my tutor is being heartless and loads our bags with extra revision materials and tutorials?
.
.
Why am I pushing myself really hard for As when the subjects we're taking isn't exactly relevant or nowhere near to the university courses we're aiming for?
.
.
I'm pretty sure these are the questions that popped inside my head quite often throughout my 2 years of A Levels. Nonetheless, I and another few thousands of A Levels students heed our tutor's 'orders' to 'do well'.

Today, I was curious about the exemptions for certain courses provided by universities of Singapore, so I Googled it to find out more. Found this link provided by SMU:


This page explains the courses (although mainly foundation courses and GE courses) that freshman can be exempted from depending on their A Levels results, though the list is not restricted to just A Level grads but it includes Poly and IB grads seeking matriculation too.

Appalled by the fact that I am allowed to be exempted to up to 6 subjects, it struck my mind that if it weren't for my tutors' endless rattle, my Uni life would have been harder (perhaps, or least I won't be learning the actual stuff until I've completed the foundation courses.)

Putting uni courses aside, I guess tutors really play a huge role in helping us students obtaining admission into our desired universities. And over here, I would like to take this opportunity to thank the tutors that shared the same path as I walked during 08-09:

To Mr. Wong, for his encouragements to my class when our Maths results were not showing our true potential and his workings and answers scribbled on the whiteboard.

To Mr. Low, for his patience in explaning Physics concepts despite the fact that we were too busy doing Maths and Chemistry during his tutorials.

To Mrs. Chong, for her evergreen personality and her unique approach to Econs, spurring my interest in it and eventually my choice of course in SMU.

To Mr. Tan, for provoking our thoughts in GP and bringing out the best of us in project management skills for PW.

To Mrs. Tan, for further enlightening us that there's more to GP than essays and comprehensions.

To Mrs. Lim, for being such a wonderful PAE Civics Tutor and her concern for my health for the 2 years.

To Mrs. Lee, Ms. Sum, Mr. Ng, and Mrs. Wang, for their undying support for NYJChoir, spending hours with us, being there for us in every sectionals and performances.

To another Mr. Lim, for understanding my health concerns and allowing me to be with my classmates during PE despite my photosensitivity.

To Mr. Teo, for being such a great teacher mentor ensuring that the welfare of my batchmates is in the right hands.

Lastly, to the Chem version of Mr. Low, my Civics Tutor, for the enjoyable moments I had during his classes, not forgetting his street-wise philosophies that I shall always treasure.


0 comments: